I fiddled with 3 different batches of pound cake until I discovered this gem and let me tell you, it tastes EXACTLY like Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake you already love! This is certainly something you don’t want to miss!
- 3 medium eggs or 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 sour cream
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- (1) 3.4 ounce instant lemon pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare your loaf pan (9’x5″) by first measuring and cutting parchment paper to fit the dish (see picture below). You want to leave an overhang of at least 2″ on each side to 1) help you lift the lemon pound cake from the baking dish and 2) to help ice the pound cake before you serve it. Spray your pan with with either a coconut oil or vegetable oil spray BEFORE you fit the parchment paper in the baking dish to help it stick AND AFTER your lay the parchment paper in the baking dish so the batter doesn’t stick to the sides.
- Sift together the dry ingredients
- Using a hand mixer OR a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg one at a time, mix well.
- Add all the additional wet ingredients to the batter, mix well.
- Lastly, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time on LOW speed. Mix everything until combined but do not over mix the batter.
- Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour batter into the prepared PARCHMENT LINED LOAF PAN and tap out the air bubbles.
- Bake the lemon pound cake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- At about the 30 minute mark if the pound cake is starting to get too dark, tint it with tinfoil for the remainder of the cook time. Check on your pound cake every 5 minutes at around the 50 minute mark to ensure doneness AND so to not overcook it!
- Let the pound cake COOL COMPLETELY. Even if this means waiting 2-3 hours, being patient will pay off. Once it has cooled you can prepare the icing.
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
- Mix all the ingredients by hand or with a mixer until well combined.
- Using and off set spatula, spread an even layer of icing over the top of the pound cake while its still in the loaf pan–use all the icing.
- Place the now iced pound cake in the fridge for at least an hour (I prefer to leave it in for a few hours), and when you’re ready to serve the pound cake, run a sharp knife along the TWO sides that don’t have parchment paper and lift the cake out.
- Slice into even pieces and serve it chilled!
- As always, ENJOY!
Products I Love to Use:
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer
- Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer
- Global Knives
- Epicurean Cutting Board
- Wilton Offset Spatula
- Wilton Loaf Pan