Certain foods always remind me of my childhood, and these bars are definitely one of those things. They’re the perfect mix of shortbread cookie and lemon curd, topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and lemon zest!
My Mom was certainly known for these lemon bars and she only made them ONCE A YEAR, at Christmas, so they were much anticipated by everyone! A few years back she gifted everyone with a handmade cookbook that included alllllll her favorite cookie and bar recipes–of course, these were included!
I adapted this just a hair to give it a bit more of the PUNCHY lemon flavor I love so much, but all the credit definitely goes to my Momma!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (melted)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Lemon Bar Toppings:
- Zest of one lemon sprinkled all over the top
- Powdered sugar for dusting all over the top
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9″x13″ Pyrex baking dish with tinfoil and lightly spray everything with a little coconut oil or spray oil of choice.
- Combine all the crust ingredients by hand or in a stand mixer. Evenly press into the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- After the crust comes out of the oven and while it’s cooling for 10 minutes, mix up the filling. Pour the filling over the crust and continue baking the bars for another 18-22 minutes OR until the center is set.
- Let the bars cool completely and the top them with the lemon zest and a generous dusting of powder sugar. Cut them into squares for serving.